A holistic approach to well-being
In 1998 Dr. Freitag completed her internship at the VA Medical Center in Minneapolis and received her doctorate in Clinical Psychology. She became an Assistant Professor with the University of Minnesota Medical School Department of Psychiatry, and adjunct faculty with St. Thomas University Graduate School of Psychology. In 2005 she opened Integrative Psychological Services, P.A. as a licensed Clinical Psychologist and Supervisor in private practice.
In addition to specializing in mindfulness-based therapies for anxiety, depression, chronic illness, trauma, grief and loss, and relationship concerns, she trains other clinicians interested in enhancing their clinical skills.
Dr. Freitag teaches graduate students in the field of psychology, engages in research to further the understanding of what makes mental health treatments most effective, and collaborates with other professionals in various disciplines to help provide a whole-health approach in the treatment of patients and their families.
Specific areas of expertise include anxiety management, stress reduction, chronic illness, interpersonal effectiveness, couples communication, conflict regulation, family relationship repair, and trauma recovery.
- Licensed by the Minnesota Board of Psychology
- Certified in Hypnosis by the Minnesota Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- Certified in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Certified in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR)
- American Psychological Association
- APA Division 12 for Clinical Psychology
- Minnesota Psychological Association
- Association for Advancement of Behavior Therapy
- Minnesota Society of Clinical Hypnosis
Special Training: The Five Mindfulness Trainings
In August 2007, Dr. Freitag received her dharma name, Healing Tenderness of the Heart, from Thich Nhat Hanh, after completing The Five Mindfulness Trainings.
Thich Nhat Hanh, a renowned Vietnamese Zen Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet, and peace activist, was nominated by Nobel laureate Martin Luther King, Jr. for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967. He was awarded the Courage of Conscience award in 1991 and has been featured in many films, including The Power of Forgiveness showcased at the Dawn Breakers International Film Festival.
Thich Nhat Hanh lives in the Plum Village Monastery in the Dordogne region in the South of France, where Dr. Freitag gave a presentation on the topic of Mindfulness and Cognitive Psychotherapy on June 4, 2011.
In 2006, Pat successfully completed the requirements for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist. This, she added to licensure as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor since 1998, resulting in complimentary dual licensure.
Pat pursued graduate school for Marriage and Family Therapy to expand her opportunities for working with people. She was always drawn to, interested in, developing long term relationships with those who were working toward greater contentment and joy in relationships and daily life, and now had the knowledge and training to do so. Walking with and tending to those in a change process has been both meaningful and rich.
In 2007, Pat opened Sound Mind – Therapy and Consultation Services – an independent practice. She works from a partnership/collaborative, strength-based model that is grounded in a holistic perspective considering the implications to physical, mental, and spiritual health. Areas of specialty include Life-Cycle Transitions, Relationship Enhancement, and Addiction/Recovery. Other areas of experience include mood management, stress reduction, and skill building to improve physical, mental, and spiritual health.
- Licensed by the Minnesota Board of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Licensed by the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy
- Certified by the Minnesota Department of Human Services as a Gambling Treatment Provider
- Minnesota Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Minnesota Association of Resources for Recovery and Chemical Health
- Eleven plus years in independent practice.
- Graduated from the University of Wisconsin, Stout in 2002.
- License Number and State: 1297, Minnesota.
- Thirty plus years of experience in Chemical Health.
- Graduated from the St. Catherine’s University (formerly St. Mary’s Junior College) in 1985.
- License Number and State: 300371, Minnesota.
Scott has been an avid student of the Enneagram since 1996 and has been teaching Enneagram classes in corporate, educational, and faith settings for 15 years. His professional journey has taken him from church and campus ministries, and into leading a hospital chaplaincy department. Currently, he is a chaplain educator with M Health Fairview, and also runs Sojourners Institute (SojournersInstitute.com), where he offers individual spiritual direction, spiritual direction training, various workshops, and a spiritual development program.